We often hear the word podcast in the internet, but what really is podcast, and how do you start one?
A podcast is an audio or video recording that is circulated all over the internet. It is usually in the format almost the same as a radio or a television show. Since the tools needed to create podcast are most likely on hand, many people, especially internet marketers and online coaches are getting more into podcasting these days.
For you to start your own podcast channel, you will need to have the hardware:
- Computer. The computer will be your gateway to podcasting. Here, you will record, edit and connect yourself to the internet in order for you to broadcast your recording.
- Reliable Internet Connection. This is second to the most important thing you will need. This will serve as your connection from your home studio to the outside world.
- Good Quality Microphone. If you want to make a great start in the world of podcasting, you must invest in a good quality microphone. But as of now, any microphone that’s handy will do the job for you.
- Speakers/ Headphones/ Headsets. You need these to have your recording quality checked before going live. Headsets are better to use as the speaker and mic comes together.
Yes, you are all set up by now. The next thing to think about is what to broadcast? same as blogging, basically ANYTHING!
But for a better podcast, you should think about the following:
- What hobbies do you like?
- What do you love discussing about?
- What things are you fond of doing (whether you are paid to do it or not)
- What are your fields of expertise?
- What are the common questions you receive from people within your circle? (this where your “buyer persona” comes in)
When you have finally figured out your topics, you can either do the “talking” alone or like others, you can invite people/guests or other minds to speak with you on your podcast. Ideally your guest would be someone well known in your niche, an “influencer” in your circle and expert about the topic but it can also be anyone or someone who can offer great value to your listeners.
Some things you should consider in getting someone to be interviewed on an episode:
- The guest should know the objective or the motivation of the whole episode.
- Look for a friend or someone within your circle who is credible and shares the same interest as yours and your audience
- Search for an “expert” in that certain field.
- Ask for a portfolio or a sample work (written or not) to show proof that they really know what they are talking about.
- Seek the help of an “agent” or someone who can refer people to you.
- You can also search for directories and advertisements for people/experts who want to get interviewed! There are lots out there!
Then there you go, you are all set in publishing your podcast!
Podcasts is all about connecting, educating, great talk, sharing your experiences, thoughts and things you love with your audience and listeners. All you have to do is be your awesome self and have fun!